18 Jan 2018
Professionals The Wright Team
Simple ways to Conserve Water around the Home
Limiting water usage around your house and in the garden isn’t as hard as many people think. Here are some simple tips that will help you conserve water and save on your monthly bill:
In the Yard & Garden
- When washing your car or boat, do it on the lawn so the grass is watered too.
- To clean paths and driveways, use a rake, broom, or outdoor blower.
- Use a hand held hose with a trigger nozzle to water the garden.
- To avoid water evaporation, try watering the garden in the early morning or late afternoon.
- Choose plant species for the yard that need less water.
- Mulching the garden helps reduce evaporation and avoid water run-off.
- Install a rainwater tank to use for the garden (Council may offer rebates too)
- Check any hot water systems, air conditioning units and solar panels for overflow outlets that release water. Have this water diverted on to the lawn or garden.
In the Kitchen
- Only run the dishwater when the load is full and set it to the shortest cycle.
- Instead of letting the tap run, wash fruits & veg in a small bowl of water in the sink.
- Repurpose water and use on the garden.
In the Bathroom
- Upgrade your toilets by installing dual flush tanks.
- While shaving, fill the sink half way and use that water instead of running the tap. To clean the razor use short bursts of water.
- When brushing your teeth, don’t leave the tap running.
In the Laundry
- Only wash full loads using the shortest cycle possible in your washing machine.
- Check the water-level on your washer and adjust it to use less water per load.
- Spread out your washing days if you have a septic system, to avoid overloading the system and use products that are environment friendly.
Besides conserving water, it is also smart to regularly check for leaks. A way to do this is read the water meter before going out, then check again when you get back. If the water level changed, there may be a leak.
A few other ways to reduce water usage is by installing water saving shower heads and timers or flow restrictors on household taps. All of these devices are available for purchase at hardware stores like Bunnings.
Professionals The Wright Team is located in the heart of Balga & services the entire region with a specific focus on suburbs including Balga, Mirrabooka, Koondoola, Girrawheen, and Westminster.